Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the last cd you bought?

+2
i_luv_miley
TexasBlue
6 posters

:: General :: Music

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the last cd you bought?

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 am

Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows are my least favorite ones in recent times. Alex's guitar is more crunchy (distortion) than in previous outings. They're not bad by any means. Both were well received by fans, so you'll probably like them. I'm not fond of the stuff they did on Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows or Hold Your Fire. Decent cd's but like the documentary said.... a power trio that was drowning in keyboards at the time.

All that and i still own every cd they made except compilations.

If you want the best live dvd's get Rush In Rio and the R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour. On the second, they're in Germany. They open with a medley of Finding My Way, Anthem, Bastille Day, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1 and then breaking into Spirit of Radio.

From New York, a good home shot vid:
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Admin210

Back to top Go down

What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's the last cd you bought?

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:09 pm

As of yesterday I have Rush In Rio. Laughing I've also had R30 since it first came out. Even then as I was (only and admittedly) a Rush "newbie", I knew enough about them and to get the DVD. Of course, only being a "minor" fan at the time, I wasn't familiar with a lot of the songs (aside from the obvious), but I always admired their musicianship. And basically that's how I always looked at the band - damn good musicians, doing music for the sake of music - and I respected that... But as I said, something happened last month where I went from what I just said to, "Huh, their music actually means something to me." That's when this current "thing" happened. At that point, I became (what I would call) a real Rush fan. Okay, so it took me 30 years too long but at least it happened. Laughing
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:02 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:As of yesterday I have Rush In Rio. Laughing I've also had R30 since it first came out. Even then as I was (only and admittedly) a Rush "newbie", I knew enough about them and to get the DVD. Of course, only being a "minor" fan at the time, I wasn't familiar with a lot of the songs (aside from the obvious), but I always admired their musicianship. And basically that's how I always looked at the band - damn good musicians, doing music for the sake of music - and I respected that... But as I said, something happened last month where I went from what I just said to, "Huh, their music actually means something to me." That's when this current "thing" happened. At that point, I became (what I would call) a real Rush fan. Okay, so it took me 30 years too long but at least it happened. Laughing

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I missed your reply.

Yeah, i discovered them in 1976 (my uncle was a fan). My first album by them was All The World's A Stage. I was hooked from that point on.

Here, i found Signals really cheap for you. It's the remastered version from '97 and sounds sweet.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1055942

I've bought from these people since 2002 and they have better service than Amazon, imo. Twice i've had a bad product and they sent a new one out that very day and credited me with the postage to return the bad disc. Twice in 8 years is a good record.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Well, in a few days my Rush collection should double. Yesterday I ordered Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Presto, Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows from Amazon. They should be here by the weekend. I like Amazon. I've used them for years and never had a problem. True, Amazon UK has been slow at times, but how else am I going to get Girls Aloud CD's? But Amazon US is fine. Laughing

I've also been watching more of the R30 DVD - specifically the interviews and stuff, and seeing that stuff just reinforces how I've felt about them for the past month. The guys just seem cool. I mean obviously knowing "of" them for as long as I can remember, I already had an idea about them. But seeing them actually talk about things (their friendship, how they come up with lyrics and music, how they look at their own history, etc) is just amazing. There doesn't seem to be any ego about them. They are about the music. Anyway all this thinking about them recently has sort of brought back my own memories. Specifically I'm convinced that I had a neighbor who always had 2112 playing when I went over to their house - in the mid-70's. So hearing those songs again, these little "things" are opening up in my mind. I mean, I know for a fact that I was listening to Tom Sawyer when it came out. I say that because everyone was listening to that at the time, but being only 12 it didn't make much of an impact. But I still remember doing it... So my "discovery" of Rush over the past month has actually led to a "re-discovery" of my own self at certain times.

I'll bet Neil could put this post to lyrics. ROFL
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:45 am

You should look into late 70s-early 80s Genesis (before Phil Collins got big). They're my favorite all time band.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:05 pm

TexasBlue wrote:You should look into late 70s-early 80s Genesis (before Phil Collins got big). They're my favorite all time band.
I have Abacab (1982) and Genesis (1983). bounce I recently saw a "documentary" about them (probably on VH-1 classic) and it was pretty cool. From about the time of Genesis (the album) I would say my knowledge of them is pretty good, but I got a kick out of learning about them from after Peter Gabriel quit to when they began to make it big. I already knew some of the songs (Follow You Follow Me, Misunderstanding, etc) of course, but it was still interesting hearing about that time. Okay Phil, you're the singer now! ROFL
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Their best stuff, imo, is from 1976 (Trick of the Tail) to 1980 (Duke). The Gabriel era stuff is ok.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir
What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Header4complete
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:55 pm

and....

20th Century Masters by Atlanta Rhythm Section.
What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 1312897497444f484397
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:09 pm

I haven't bought a CD in ages, we're so poor *sob* but I think the last was probably Lungs by Florence and the Machine.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Junmem10

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I haven't either. But i decided to splurge this week. Otherwise, i've been grabbing torrents. I only grab FLAC because they're cd quality. I hate MP3's.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I purchased a four-disc CD collection titled "Classics For Relaxation", not only because I do enjoy a bit of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Boccherini from time to time, but also because it was $5.

How sweet it is to savor the savings, and my ears are thus as pleased as my wallet.

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Miley Cyrus - Hannah Montana Forever
Taylor Swift - Speak Now

Beavis n Butthead
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 pm

LOL, people still buy CDs?

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:10 pm

merkwurdigliebe wrote:LOL, people still buy CDs?

Yeah. I do.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
merkwurdigliebe wrote:LOL, people still buy CDs?

Yeah. I do.

Do you also buy films on laserdisc or VHS as well?

Snicker

I keed I keed of course

Really can't freaking stand optical storage devices. I hate them. Hate them all.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 pm

merkwurdigliebe wrote:Do you also buy films on laserdisc or VHS as well?

Snicker

I keed I keed of course

Really can't freaking stand optical storage devices. I hate them. Hate them all.

Nope. I have a DVD player.

I hate MP3's with a passion. It's a lossy format and it sucks. It's overrated.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 pm

TexasBlue wrote:

Snicker

I keed I keed of course

I'm a complete tin-ear when it comes to the sound quality of different formats (I support OGG, but only for political reasons). I suppose I'm part of the reason then as to why we are stuck with this (supposedly) inferior format, it's "gud enuf" for us oiks.

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 pm

TexasBlue wrote:

Snicker

I keed I keed of course

Bah! Nothing beats good old-fashioned analogue... vinyl is still the gold standard.... Nod2
dblboggie
dblboggie

What's the last cd you bought? - Page 2 Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 pm

I've used MP3 and FLAC format. FLAC is huge in size but it's in CD quality.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to get out of your music./ MP3 shaves low and high end parts of the song while it's being compressed from lossless format. You never will hear the song as it was intended.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Today I bought the following:

John Coltrane - The Very Best Of John Coltrane
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Van Halen - The Best Of Both Worlds

Yesterday I received from Amazon:

Rush - Test For Echo
Aly & AJ - Acoustic Hearts Of Winter

Okay, now for a little commentary... First and foremost, I'm a pop fan. I always have been and I always will be. Hence my forum name. Laughing But I'm also a music fan and as such, I've also got a bit of country in my collection, some classical and now I'm venturing into jazz. As of now, my jazz knowledge is almost zero, but I'd like to think I know enough to know to begin with Coltrane and Davis. So hopefully I will enjoy these and become more familiar with the genre.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Been collecting the whole discography of the metal band, Megadeth. After seeing their performance on the Big 4 dvd, I was hooked. They blew away Metallica 13 times over.

Xmas gift cards helped to pay for most. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:43 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Xmas gift cards helped to pay for most. ROFL
Tell me about it. I got gift cards from Barnes & Noble and Amazon - and on top of that, cash! So far I've bought like eight CD's, two books, and several DVD's since the day after Christmas. And I only just started spending the cash today. Snicker

Of course, I do still need about a dozen Rush CD's, so... Razz
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah, I got cash, a Best Buy card and a Walmart card. So, I've been using them to get my Megdeth discography.

Which Rush are you still in need of?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:05 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Which Rush are you still in need of?
I don't know exactly. Laughing

But I now have the following:

2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Presto, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows

However, only half of my Amazon order actually arrived. In the part still to come is Fly By Night & Counterparts.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

:: General :: Music

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum