Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Pranks

2 posters

Go down

Computer Pranks Empty Computer Pranks

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Blue Screen of Death Screensaver

When encountered, the blue screen is usually a sign of failing system hardware or software incompatibility issues. But did you know that there is a screensaver prank available directly from Microsoft that will allow you to play a trick on your friends, co-workers or classmates?

How to install the Blue Screen Of Death Screensaver:

1. Download the Bluescreen.zip from Microsoft
  2. Extract the contents of the zip to the System32 directory on the clients PC. For example: C:/Windows/System32
  3. Right click on the desktop, select Properties and then click the Screen Saver tab. Use the pull down list to find Sysinternals Bluescreen and apply it as the new screen saver. Select the Settings button to enable fake disk activity, which adds an extra touch of realism!
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Computer Pranks Admin210

Back to top Go down

Computer Pranks Empty Re: Computer Pranks

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Looking to play a harmless Windows XP or Vista prank on your friend? Here's a little trick you can do. This will make him believe his computer is frozen.

The trick involves taking a screen shot of their current desktop and replacing their background image (wallpaper) with it. Both tricks involve hiding the desktop icons. When they attempt to left-click on anything, nothing will appear to happen.

1. Visit your friend's house. Make sure they have a computer running Windows XP or Vista, and that you have access to their user account.

2. Secure their current user settings. Purely optional, this will ensure you still have a friend when you're done. Create a new user account and copy over their existing user settings. When you're done with the prank, they'll be able to restore the changes you've made by referencing the other account. This is more important for the "black screen" prank than the "static background" prank.

3. Wait until your friend goes out of the room. Anytime they leave the room for at least a couple of minutes will suffice.

4. Once they are out of the room, close everything that is open on the computer.

5. Computer Pranks 300px-ShowDesktopIcons_933
    Right-click on the desktop background and select "Arrange Icons By", then select "Show Desktop Items" to uncheck it.

It may take a moment for the effects to be made. If your friend's computer doesn't show the "Show Desktop Items" option, you may move all of their desktop icons (user created ones, not the Recycle Bin, etc.) to a different folder. You may also hide desktop icons such as "My Documents", "My Computer", "Internet Explorer", etc. by right-clicking on the desktop, selecting "Properties", clicking on the "Desktop" tab, and then clicking on the "Customize Desktop..." button.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Computer Pranks Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 pm

ROFL That's just mean.... but so funny... Snicker
dblboggie
dblboggie

Computer Pranks Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm gonna do the frozen desktop on my uncle one of these days. ROFL The computer always gets the best of him even when it's running correctly. Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Computer Pranks Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:29 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I'm gonna do the frozen desktop on my uncle one of these days. ROFL The computer always gets the best of him even when it's running correctly. Big Grin

Snicker I have a brother like that... talk about technology-challenged...
dblboggie
dblboggie

Computer Pranks Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I always get phone calls to come fix the computer. I'm the family go-to guy. And the best part (for them) is that I don't charge.Computer Pranks 3c61d38d617e7e24f45c7ed92473b0da
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Computer Pranks Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:41 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I always get phone calls to come fix the computer. I'm the family go-to guy. And the best part (for them) is that I don't charge.Computer Pranks 3c61d38d617e7e24f45c7ed92473b0da

ROFL Damn! Same here. Even my baby sister, who's been working with computers for years at her job, still calls me to fix her system when something goes wrong... Snicker
dblboggie
dblboggie

Computer Pranks Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:42 pm

dblboggie wrote:ROFL Damn! Same here. Even my baby sister, who's been working with computers for years at her job, still calls me to fix her system when something goes wrong... Snicker

The only thing I'm not good at is hardware issues. Then I go to my local computer repair guy.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Computer Pranks Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
dblboggie wrote:ROFL Damn! Same here. Even my baby sister, who's been working with computers for years at her job, still calls me to fix her system when something goes wrong... Snicker

The only thing I'm not good at is hardware issues. Then I go to my local computer repair guy.

I'm fairly decent at hardware issues... certainly not an expert, but good enough. I had an issue with my computer a couple of years ago, it wouldn't start at all and I was having trouble spotting the problem. I took it to a guy who ran the IT department at my sister's office, and he couldn't isolate it either. Then, while examining the motherboard more closely, I noticed several of the large capacitors on the board seemed to have swollen tops. Turns out that those capacitors had failed for what ever reason. Once I replaced the motherboard the system ran just fine. I'm using that replacement motherboard even now. Had the same thing happen with a video card. Somehow I have a knack for the hardware thing, even more than the software.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Computer Pranks Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:05 pm

The best I can do is replace memory sticks. Computer Pranks _short_term_memory_loss__by_ROBlNHOOD
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Computer Pranks Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:32 pm

TexasBlue wrote:The best I can do is replace memory sticks. Computer Pranks _short_term_memory_loss__by_ROBlNHOOD

Snicker I've been building my own systems from scratch for years. I've purchased exactly one pre-built system in my life. Having been a mechanic early in life, I had a certain affinity for the physical side of computers. I love taking things apart and putting things together. I repaired my first radio when I was 15. I was finding bad tubes in our television and getting replacements when I was even younger than that. Few of the youngster's here will even know what that means... Snicker
dblboggie
dblboggie

Computer Pranks Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum