Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

3 posters

:: General :: Science

Go down

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Empty Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Post by kronos Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd meant to share this earlier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110117/wl_asia_afp/japansciencemammoth_20110117104445

by Shingo Ito Shingo Ito – Mon Jan 17, 5:44 am ET

TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

[Related: Scientists find living 34,000-year-old organism]

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

Click image to see more mammoth photos

AFP/HO/File

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

Some mammoth remains still retain usable tissue samples, making it possible to recover cells for cloning, unlike dinosaurs, which disappeared around 65 million years ago and whose remains exist only as fossils

Researchers hope to achieve their aim within five to six years, the Yomiuri said.

The team, which has invited a Russian mammoth researcher and two US elephant experts to join the project, has established a technique to extract DNA from frozen cells, previously an obstacle to cloning attempts because of the damage cells sustained in the freezing process.

Another Japanese researcher, Teruhiko Wakayama of the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology, succeeded in 2008 in cloning a mouse from the cells of another that had been kept in temperatures similar to frozen ground for 16 years.

The scientists extracted a cell nucleus from an organ of a dead mouse and planted it into the egg of another mouse which was alive, leading to the birth of the cloned mouse.

Based on Wakayama's techniques, Iritani's team devised a method to extract the nuclei of mammoth eggs without damaging them.

But a successful cloning will also pose challenges for the team, Iritani warned.

"If a cloned embryo can be created, we need to discuss, before transplanting it into the womb, how to breed (the mammoth) and whether to display it to the public," Iritani said.

"After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

[Discovery: Tiny dinosaur set stage for T. rex]

More than 80 percent of all mammoth finds have been dug up in the permafrost of the vast Sakha Republic in eastern Siberia.

Exactly why a majority of the huge creatures that once strode in large herds across Eurasia and North America died out towards the end of the last Ice Age has generated fiery debate.

Some experts hold that mammoths were hunted to extinction by the species that was to become the planet's dominant predator -- humans.

Others argue that climate change was more to blame, leaving a species adapted for frozen climes ill-equipped to cope with a warming world.

It all sounds fascinating and I have no real ethical objections that I can think of (just treat the animal well, give it plenty of snow to play in), but...

"After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

Sorry, what? Examining a live mammoth will tell you nothing of its ecology. And you've already GOT the genetic material, right? How else are you going to make this thing?

Shall I file this under "pointless publicity stunts?"

kronos

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Empty Re: Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Post by TexasBlue Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:33 pm

This could be cool as shit to see if they can even pull it off.

kronos wrote:Shall I file this under "pointless publicity stunts?"

ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Admin210

Back to top Go down

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Empty Re: Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Post by kronos Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

TexasBlue wrote:This could be cool as shit to see if they can even pull it off.

Definitely, mammoths are badass.

I just think the 'scientific' reasons offered are silly. They should just admit that they're doing ti because it would be cool as shit.

Which it would be.

kronos

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Now if we could bring back a Neanderthal and name him Conservative. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:32 am

That is just a ridiculous waste of time. The topography it lived in has changed since they died out some 30,000 years ago. The evolutionary niche they had adapted to no longer exists and they died out; I can't see what they would gain from this.

But yes, it would be cool as shit and when I meet one I can tell him about all the bones of his great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandparents I have dug up Very Happy
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down