Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

5 posters

:: General :: Science

Go down

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Empty NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Post by kronos Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 pm

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Bacteria-in-Meteorites

Aliens exist, and we have proof.

That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, who says he has found conclusive evidence of alien life — fossils of bacteria found in an extremely rare class of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites. (There are only nine such meteorites on planet Earth.) Hoover’s findings were published late Friday night in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist would say that this is impossible.”

Hoover discovered the fossils by breaking apart the CI1 meteorite, and analyzing the exposed rock with a scanning-electron microscope and a field emission electron-scanning microscope, which allowed him to detect any fossil remains. What he found were fossils of micro-organisms (pictured below), many of which he says are strikingly similar to those found on our own planet (pictured above).

“The exciting thing is that they are in many cases recognizable and can be associated very closely with the generic species here on earth,” said Hoover. Some of the fossils, however, are quite odd. “There are some that are just very strange and don’t look like anything that I’ve been able to identify, and I’ve shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump.”

In order to satisfy the inevitable hoard of buzz-killing skeptics, Hoover’s study and evidence were made available to his peers in the scientific community in advance of the study’s publications, giving them a chance to thoroughly dissect his findings. Comments from those who decided to sift through the evidence will be published online, alongside the study.

“Given the controversial nature of his discovery, we have invited 100 experts and have issued a general invitation to over 5,000 scientists from the scientific community to review the paper and to offer their critical analysis,” writes Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics scientist Dr. Rudy Schild, who serves as the Journal of Cosmology’s editor-in-chief. “No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published.”

Needless to say, if Hoover’s conclusions are found to be accurate, the implications for human life will be staggering. Here’s hoping that he’s right.

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Alien-life-figure-4a-210x300

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,” some highly respected names in the scientific community are challenging the validity of Cosmology, and the findings of Dr. Hoover.

“[The Journal of Cosmology] isn’t a real science journal at all,” says PZ Meyers in Science Blogs, “but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth.”

So there you have it — this is either reality-altering news, or the work of kooks. Our hearts believe, but our brains are kind of bummed.

kronos

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Junmem10

Back to top Go down

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Empty Re: NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Post by TexasBlue Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Admin210

Back to top Go down

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Empty Re: NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Post by dblboggie Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 pm

While I would love for this to be true, I have visited the Journal of Cosmology site, and it is a rather cheap looking affair. That's not to say that it does not have real and credible scientists working for it, but clearly they have no marketing expertise on their staff.

I would be interested in seeing what Matt and Bec think of the article and the site as they have some experience with scientific journals.
dblboggie
dblboggie

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life  Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:48 am

I don't recommend visiting the website. It will make your eyeballs bleed.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm

And it doesn't exactly scream "credibility" either.

I'm not sure why it's called the Journal of Cosmology when pretty much every article they feature (judging by the title) is about (speculative) astrobiology.

I used to read PZ Meyers' blog a fair bit, the man has a strong bullshit detector, so if he's read the paper and concludes it's "garbage" (his own words as quoted in TIME), I'm inclined to believe him. Though I haven't read the paper.

One last thing--the whole notion of finding proof of alien life right here on Earth seems...questionable. This meteorite has identifiable Earth-organism fossils on it; ergo, it was contaminated. So why would we assume the unidentifiable fossils (if they really are that) come from outer space when they could be part of the same terrestrial contamination?

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:23 pm

kronos wrote:And it doesn't exactly scream "credibility" either.

I'm not sure why it's called the Journal of Cosmology when pretty much every article they feature (judging by the title) is about (speculative) astrobiology.

I used to read PZ Meyers' blog a fair bit, the man has a strong bullshit detector, so if he's read the paper and concludes it's "garbage" (his own words as quoted in TIME), I'm inclined to believe him. Though I haven't read the paper.

One last thing--the whole notion of finding proof of alien life right here on Earth seems...questionable. This meteorite has identifiable Earth-organism fossils on it; ergo, it was contaminated. So why would we assume the unidentifiable fossils (if they really are that) come from outer space when they could be part of the same terrestrial contamination?

I can't speak to the rest of this, but on the issue of terrestrial contamination, would it be possible for those microorganisms to find their way into the center of such a meteorite specimen - should that be where the sample examined came from?
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 pm

kronos wrote:I used to read PZ Meyers' blog a fair bit, the man has a strong bullshit detector, so if he's read the paper and concludes it's "garbage" (his own words as quoted in TIME), I'm inclined to believe him. Though I haven't read the paper.
I still read Meyers' site from time to time but I haven't seen his comments on this article but if he described it as "garbage" then thats good enough for me.

I'm inclined to read the paper just for the sheer hell of it. With such piss-poor papers, the critiques are usually quite entertaining. I swear sometimes the editors of these less prestigious journals publish dodgy papers to see the author(s) get their arse(s) handed to them.

kronos wrote:One last thing--the whole notion of finding proof of alien life right here on Earth seems...questionable. This meteorite has identifiable Earth-organism fossils on it; ergo, it was contaminated.
I'm inclined to agree but that doesn't necessarily make such instances useless evidence as a rule. In such instances it still might be the real deal. In this case, I seriously doubt it.

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,
I seriously doubt that. Such hyperbole is unbecoming true journals and their editors.

And if it isn't actually a proper journal then the paper and data therein is just a shade short of useless.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I've just skimmed through the article. Despite a lot of data, it has a very amateur-ish style to its writing. Now, I know scientists are not chosen for their eloquence of language or literary art but this smacks of having not been edited. I also notice the bibliography contains a disproportionate amount of Hoyle's work on extra-terrestrial origin theory.

The handful of critiques I read were surprisingly kind on the authors.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:43 pm

This is a good article on it:

http://www.space.com/11049-alien-life-meteorites-skepticism.html

As for the journal itself:

"It isn't a real science journal at all, but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of [Fred] Hoyle and [Chandra] Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth," P.Z. Myers, a biologist at the University of Minnesota, Morris, wrote on his popular science blog Pharyngula. "It doesn't exist in print, consists entirely of a crude and ugly website that looks like it was sucked through a wormhole from the 1990s, and publishes lots of empty noise with no substantial editorial restraint."

And the skeptic's view:

Shostak called the paper "an extensive and thorough review" of Hoover's findings, but said they did not amount to convincing evidence.

"If you look at the microscope photos, they are certainly suggestive – looking like photos made of various terrestrial bacteria," Shostak told SPACE.com. "But then again, while intriguing, that's hardly proof. If similarity in appearance were all it took to prove similarity in kind, then it would be pretty easy for me to demonstrate that there are big animals living in the sky, because I see clouds that look like them."

The same goes for the chemical evidence Hoover presents, Shostak said. While these compounds could have been produced by microbial life, they also could have been made by non-biological, mundane processes.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down