Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president

2 posters

:: Main :: Religion

Go down

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Empty Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:29 am

Lord Sacks’ remarks are fatuous in the extreme. If by religious freedom the chief rabbi means religious privilege, it is clear that he would be happier in some kind of theocracy. But, of course, it would have to be the right kind of theocracy – one where Jews weren’t persecuted. And there aren’t many of them.

Rather than fleeing this country, he should thank his God that he lives here and knows that he and his people are safe and free to practice their religion within the law.

He should remember that here the state funds and encourages Jewish schools. Exemptions from the law permit the cruel slaughter of animals so that his religious freedom is guaranteed.

Religious freedom to him seems to mean the freedom to discriminate against and persecute others. Well, in a plural society we all have rights, not just religious people. Lord Sacks should retract this foolish statement and apologise to the people of Britain for suggesting that his religion is not respected and permitted to flourish here. He should also remember that those who sailed on the Mayflower were escaping persecution by people of their own faith, not secularists.

The equality laws that he disparages are a wonderful achievement and something that most people – including many Jews - welcome as progressive, just and long overdue.

Thousands of Jews fled to this country in the 1930s and were given shelter. They valued our tolerance and the fact that no-one interfered with their worship. Most of them are now happy to live in a secular and fair-minded nation that allows everyone to be who they are without disadvantage.

His statement is selfish, self-serving and politically motivated. It is also unworthy of a religious leader of his authority.

- Terry Sanderson NSS President

Daily Telegraph
You know what? I get sick and tired of the bullshit that religious groups are so persecuted here. Give them all dictionaries so they can look up the meaning of the word because at the moment they seem to think that it means "being expected to abide by the same laws as everybody else".

From the way they complain you would think that churches are being forcibly closed by Richard Dawkins and people are being arrested on suspicion of worship.

This is the 21st century; when you expect a plural society and freedom of religion, that also includes the freedom from religion and the freedom to disagree with you in public. That goes for Jews, Christians and Muslims especially seeing as they are so determined to outdo each other in the 'we're so victimised' stakes.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Empty Re: Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 pm

What did he say????? The column didn't address that.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Admin210

Back to top Go down

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Empty Re: Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Okay, now I see.

How about Canada a few years ago? A law was passed (from what I remember) that makes it a crime for a preacher to talk down about gays during a sermon in church. I find that a bit far reaching. Of course, I might be wrong about that law, too.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:27 am

Hate speech is hate speech. Why should we make an exception on the basis of a person's religious beliefs? That is the sort of privilege Terry Sanderson is talking about - making exceptions to laws on the basis that such people claim that God says it is okay.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Chief Rabbi 'should be grateful' to live in Britain, says secular president  Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:33 am

I draw the line with hate speech, even though it repulses me.

Typically, preachers don't engage in that type of speech. They preach against the morals (as we all know).

Not sticking up for them, just sayin'.

Last edited by TexasBlue on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:26 am

But I feel their 'moralising' against secularists, homosexuals and other groups under the flag of the bible is cowardly easily and regularly steps over the borderline into hate speech. And when these groups bite back they play the victim card. We have a saying here "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:20 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:But I feel their 'moralising' against secularists, homosexuals and other groups under the flag of the bible is cowardly easily and regularly steps over the borderline into hate speech. And when these groups bite back they play the victim card. We have a saying here "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

I understand where you come from. You all have different laws than we do regarding 'hate speech.' I think Kronos pointed something out about that quite awhile ago on this itself.

We already have laws to deal with certain crimes. I personally don't think any group of people should have special laws made for them to protect them. I don't give a hoot what or who they are.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down