Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'Blackberry' thread

3 posters

Go down

The 'Blackberry' thread Empty The 'Blackberry' thread

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 pm

With so few of us, probably won't get much conversation on here but I've recently got one and thought I'd start a thread on advice, tips and app recommendations. It is my first smart phone so bear with me if I'm stating the obvious or revealing something that is already common knowledge.

App recommendation. BT Sidekick (probably not available to US users). A handy little app that detects your location (through GPS or cell site location depending on which you have) and gives you local information on pubs, restaurants, golf courses, weather and other local amenities. Very handy if you don't have access to a computer.

The 'Blackberry' thread BT-Sidekick

Last edited by The_Amber_Spyglass on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

The 'Blackberry' thread Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

The 'Blackberry' thread Empty Re: The 'Blackberry' thread

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:41 pm

You know what's strange? I don't even own a cell phone. I had one in the mid-90s though. It was the size of a Volkswagen. Very Happy

I don't really see the need for one at this time. I'm single, no kids. Plus, i'm partially employed... which means i couldn't afford it to begin with.

But this is a good thread as it is. The more threads about different thing besides politics will draw others in hopefully.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

The 'Blackberry' thread Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Mobile phones are no longer just phones anymore, they do so much more. I would have another Blackberry when this one gives up the ghost, though arguably they are better gadgets for professionals than general use.

App recommendation

Poynt is a similar app to the one above and looks as if it is available all over the world. I have found both to be invaluable and the best thing is, they are free!

Game recommendation

Number Cruncher. A cross between a word search and Sudoku. You have a grid of numbers and put strings together to gain points. 1-9 but you can overlap. Example, 1, 9, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 9, 1 is a legal string in the game. The longer they are the more points you get. Include the framed boxes for extra points (2* for one box, 6* for two, 10* for three)

The 'Blackberry' thread 29530
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:38 am

App recommendation: Again similar to Poynt and BT Sidekick is Aloqa

The 'Blackberry' thread Aloqa-blackberry

The interface is both more user friendly than Poynt and more visually pleasing than BT Sidekick by breaking amenities down into subsections and dimming out those sections where there are no local amenities.

App recommendation: RestartMe. I find it bizarre that every time an app is installed or removed on a BlackBerry, the phone must reboot. However, there is no option to do this manually (this is required when internet connection freezes up) and you must remove the battery and plug it back in again. A bit frustrating. RestartMe takes away the necessity for a battery pull and does a reboot. A very useful tool considering.

App recommendation: Kobo e-book reader. A large library of books to purchase and many that are copyright free. I can't see this catching on for mobile phones though, simply for the difficulty in reading a book on a mobile phone screen. I haven't actually yet read a book on it. will give a better review when I attempt to tackle that one.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm

I was thinking about getting a Blackberry for when I move back to Germany, but I decided to get the Nokia N900 instead. I just like the whole touchscreen and sliding keyboard.

Are Blackberries compatible with Skype?
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

The 'Blackberry' thread Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Realised I missed this from you bubblebliss. Skype doesn't seem to be available (at least, not on the official BlackBerry app world) but there is a free messenger that allows BB users to talk without spending money on text messages.

I used Kobo just before going on holiday and read my first e-book Pride and Prejudice. Interesting idea but it can be fiddly to use. I never really got used to reading a book on my phone, though the convenience of being able to switch on the app and go straight to where I left off is undoubtedly a major plus, as is the fact that you can download hundreds of books and not worry about weight (especially if you tend to read a lot of books on holiday).
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm

App recommendation. BeamExplorer is a useful tool that allows you to look at your files as though your BB was a PC. It as a file manager and allows you to create mobile Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents (something that the micro versions included with the phone does not allow without paying a premium... you can only read and edit existing files).
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Also, Google developed something similar to Skype so one can talk on the phone via a computer. I don't know if that's compatible with BB.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

The 'Blackberry' thread Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down