Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saving churches for their history - not religion

2 posters

:: General :: History

Go down

Saving churches for their history - not religion Empty Saving churches for their history - not religion

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:58 pm

If churchgoing is a reliable indicator of Christian belief, then England began losing its religious impulse when Victoria was still on the throne. Attendance at Anglican services began its decline in the 1890s. By 1968, only 3.5% of the English population went regularly on a Sunday. By 1999, that figure had halved to 1.9%. And, as the numbers went down, the age of the congregations went up. The average age of a member of the Church of England is 50. In 2015, it is likely to be 55. If present trends continue – a phrase, admittedly, that always invites suspicion – then in 30 years' time two thirds of observing Anglicans will be more than 65 years old, and almost all of them will be women.

The social, constitutional and moral consequences of the church's shrinking importance are often debated, but perhaps the real threat, which all of us can care about, is aesthetic. More numbers: three quarters of England's 16,000 parish churches are listed as buildings of architectural and historic interest in Grades I, II* and II. Churches listed grade I comprise 45% of all England's buildings – castles, mansions, banks, railway stations, markets – in the same first rank. In the words of an official from English Heritage, this means that less than 2% of the England's population is directly responsible for the care of nearly half of England's finest architecture.

Public funds have helped the churchgoers. Since 2002, English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund have spent £179m on repairs to listed places of worship of all denominations (but mainly Anglican), and every year another £12m is doled out in grants equivalent to the VAT paid on the work. The fear, for English Heritage and the church, is that a Treasury hungry for cuts won't renew the VAT scheme when it runs out next year. In a report this week, English Heritage reckons that only about one in 10 listed places of worship is in poor condition, but implies that if the cuts come this number will grow. More leaking roofs, more broken stained glass, and then ruin or conversion into flats.

Lincolnshire is a good place to consider these things. "The second largest county in England and the least appreciated," John Betjeman wrote in his Guide to English Parish Churches. The Lincolnshire wool trade, flourishing in the 12th to 15th centuries, left behind a fine stock of medieval knaves, chancels, windows and towers; Lincolnshire has 913 buildings listed Grades I and II* and 418 of them were built to be prayed in. Like other rural countries – Herefordshire, Rutland – it has an unusually high number of listed churches per head of population. "A pre-industrial legacy," in the words of this week's report, "means that the cost of maintaining buildings falls to a disproportionately small number of people, mainly in rural areas."

[ARTICLE CONTINUES]

Aside from National Lottery and English Heritage funding, the CofE also set up the National Churches Trust to preserve and encourage visits to historic places of worship. At the moment there is some concern whether these marvellous works of architecture will find themselves short of cash with the proposed budget cuts. If that happens, some may have to deconsecrate and sell off to English Heritage management. Yet as this article shows, some tiny congregations are fiercely resisting that.

Deconsecration and sale of churches is not a new thing, it has happened right through our history, even in the pious medieval times when a church could no longer support itself, or the congregation in one part of town had become too small it would merge with another and the church demolished or sold.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Saving churches for their history - not religion Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Saving churches for their history - not religion Empty Re: Saving churches for their history - not religion

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Yeah, no sense in bulldozing them if they're centuries old. Whether one likes religion or not, some very old churches are grand pieces of architecture.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Saving churches for their history - not religion Admin210

Back to top Go down

Saving churches for their history - not religion Empty Re: Saving churches for their history - not religion

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Thankfully, gone are the days when we did bulldoze over our historic sites and buildings. The problem is though is that unless buildings pass into the stewardship of English Heritage, there isn't much that can be done. The (tiny) congregation that refused to give up the church that was falling apart around them are seemingly prepared to let it collapse and unfortunately, listed buildings do fall down (I'll probably do a post on English Heritage and their powers and responsibilities in this section soon). I would like to see EH be given powers to seize buildings (compulsary purchase order) in order to protect them.

This may seem a little draconian to some but I am passionate about preserving our built heritage and too many, such as this Victorian one in my home town

Saving churches for their history - not religion 658

Is slowly falling apart while the owners dither about what to do. It is listed but as EH do not own it, they can do nothing about it.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Imagine that.... an atheist wanting to protect churches! ROFL I know why, but i couldn't resist. Very Happy
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Regardless of what I think of religion, churches are an integral part of our built heritage and have been for 1300 years. I quite like looking around historic churches and ruined monasteries. I did my undergraduate dissertation on Cistercian (monks) architecture.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Ever feel weird when you go into one?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Ever feel weird when you go into one?
Nope. But then those I tend to visit are usually tourist attractions in their own right.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Hmm. Now if a nut comes up to preach at you, what do you do?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down